Most of these problems can be solved by closing the Banker slip and utilizing painted curb extensions:
Vehicle Desire Paths
* Poorly observed stop sign by both cars and large trucks. (close the slip!)
* Wider than 90° turn radius
* Blind to Banker traffic
* Vehicles speed around this corner
Pedestrians Desire Paths
* Missing NB/SB Franklin crosswalk
* Missing NB/SB Banker crosswalk
* Missing safe passage on west side of NB/SB Banker
Cyclist Desire Paths
* Wrong way slip to EB Calyer en route to residential area and McCarren Park via Lorimer St.
* Wrong way to WB Calyer and West St. Greenway segment.
* Franklin is a dangerous bike route
West St. and Greenpoint Landing coming online soon.
* West St. was rezoned in 2005 allowing for mixed-use mega-projects.
* Greenpoint Landing is a 22 acre, 4.2 mil sq ft project north of Calyer.
* This intersection will see more bike traffic.
Calyer Place five building mega-project a block away is in development.
* This intersection will see many more pedestrians.
Collision Report 2014-May 2019
Pedestrians: 1 Involved, 1 Injured
Cyclists: 5 Involved, 4 Injured
Motorists: 34 Involved 1 Injured*
* Motorcyclist died of injuries related to this collision 7/29/2018
NOTE: Motorists were involved in all collisions.
The community can use this space for meeting and activities. It's a central location connecting Manhattan Ave, West St and Greenpoint Ave. NYC DOT should reconsider the uses for this unique space. Let’s make Calyer Triangle Plaza a reality!