The verdict is in: the 14th Street Busway has been a resounding success!
- Bus speeds are up over 30%
- Weekday ridership is up 17% (up to 31,000 riders/day)
- Weekend ridership is up over 30%
- No significant impact on traffic on local roads
- Improved curbside access for deliveries
- Safer crossings for pedestrians
- Faster transit times for emergency vehicles
We now have further and incontrovertible proof of what we already knew: when highly inefficient cars aren’t blocking the way, transit works better for the vast majority of New Yorkers who rely on it. Now it’s time to bring these common-sense changes to 125th Street, where five bus routes, the Metro-North, and 10 subway lines bring thousands of people through our neighborhoods. With over 100,000 people riding buses across 125th Street each day, it's clear the time for busways in Northern Manhattan is now.
As New York City’s subways continue to struggle, as we lead the fight against climate change, and as we push for zero deaths on our streets from traffic violence, New York City needs to dramatically expand busways so more people can benefit.
With the overwhelming success of the 14th Street Busway pilot, it’s Harlem’s turn to get first-class bus service. Join us in demanding that the city begin rolling out its busway program in Northern Manhattan.