The Van Duzer Street corridor has become a popular bypass for speeding drivers trying to avoid major Staten Island thoroughfares.
- These roads are heavily residential and speeding poses a real threat to members of the community.
- There are several schools and places of worship in this corridor that are also in danger.
NYC DOT has a proposed plan to install traffic calming measures and improve pedestrian and bicycling infrastructure, which includes:
- Highly-visible crosswalks at major pedestrian crossings.
- Smart street design to curtail dangerous speeding.
- Improvements to sidewalks.
- Bicycle lanes.
The updated DOT plan (Jan. 2017) can be viewed HERE.
We need Staten Island Community Board 1 to vote in favor of implementing these necessary street safety improvments!